Saw some beautiful big strawberries at Cold Storage for a reasonable price. Grabbed two boxes and then was scratching my head on what to bake using these strawberries. Since I also have some kiwi fruits left in the fridge, decided to bake a tart and then garnish it with fruits.
So I went fruit tart recipe hunting and settled on Happy Home Baking rainbow tart recipe. Her tart looks so amazingly beautiful that I just had to bake it.
This is what the tart looks like just out from the oven.
After it was cooled down completely, I spread it with St. Dalfour Wild Blueberry Spread.
Then I arranged the top of the tart with fresh strawberry slices, kiwi fruits and some of the leftover blueberries. Doesn't it look colourful?
Biting into a piece of the tart is so satisfying. I think the key to success for this tart is the St. Dalfour spread. It is not too sweet and just right. I love the buttery crust as well.
The tart is too small - not enough to satisfy my cravings. I am going to bake the same thing again tomorrow!
Recipe: Colourful Fruit Tart (copied from Happy Home Baking blog)
(make one 18cm tart)
20g ground almond
30g caster sugar
40g unsalted butter, soften at room temperature
1 tablespoon (15g) lightly beaten egg
2 teaspoon flour
40g ground almond
3 tablespoon brown sugar
30g unsalted butter, soften at room temperature
30g egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
some blueberry jam
fresh fruits of your choice, sliced and well drained
icing sugar for dusting
- Lightly grease an 18cm tart pan, set aside.
- Toast ground almond at 100 degC for 10 mins. Stirring in between. Let cool.
- Sieve flour and ground almond.
- With a manual whisk, cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
- Add in the egg, very gradually, whisking the batter till well mixed each time the egg is added.
- Sieve over the flour/ground almond mixture in 2 to 3 additions into the batter. Fold the mixture gently with a spatula.
- Form and shape the pastry into a round ball. Roll out the pastry in between 2 sheets of cling wrap or baking paper (I used two sheets of cut-out plastic bags) to about 23cm in diameter.
- Remove one side of the cling wrap or baking paper. Place the pastry over the prepared tart pan. Mould the pastry into the tart pan, smoothing the edges and the rim carefully...if the pastry is too soft to handle, chill it in the fridge for 10~15 mins.
- Chill the pastry in the fridge for 20mins.
- Use a fork to poke holes on the pastry. Brush the top of the rim with egg wash. Bake in pre-heated oven at 180 deg C for 10 ~12mins until the edges are slightly browned. Let cool completely.
- With a whisk, cream butter and brown sugar till the mixture turns fluffy. Add in the egg gradually, mix well each time the egg is added.
- Add in ground almond. Fold with a spatula till well incorporated. Sieve over the flour onto the mixture. Mix with a spatula. Add in vanilla extract and mix well.
- Spread the filling onto the cooled pastry base. Ensure that the edges are filled up. Bake in pre-heated oven at 170 deg C for 15 ~ 20 mins, until the surface turn golden brown. Let cool completely. Spread the top with blueberry jam and top with fresh fruit slices, dust the edges with some icing sugar.