Although the name of this recipe is called Apple Banana Coffee Cake with Chocolate Chip Streusal, don't look through the recipe for any coffee ingredient, because there is none.
According to Wendy, coffee cakes are cakes that are meant to be eaten with a cup of coffee, due to the sweetness, and they usually comes with streusel topping.
I chose to make this cake simply because I have overripe bananas and mini green Apple Smiths in my fridge. And the fact that I usually could not resists any recipes from Wendy's blog. Haha.
I actually used 250g of mashed bananas (100g more than recipe) because I wanted to finish up the bananas. And it still turned out great!
This is the streusal mix. Combination of brown sugar, a pinch of cinnamon powder, chopped walnuts and a lot of chocolate chips.
The assembling of the batter is a little tricky. In short, first, you pour in half the batter onto pan. Then you arrange the apple slices on top of the batter. Then you throw in half of the streusal mix on top of it. The remaining batter is then being scooped in dollop onto the pan, which you try to spread out without scooping out any streusal. And the remaining streusal mix is then sprinkled evenly on top. Fuyoh....sound confusing? Haha.
Maybe below photos will make my explanation clearer.
Although the cake turned out a 'lil burnt on the top, it turned out great. Streusal's sweetened by those brown sugar and chocolate chips.
I love how the brown sugar turned out sticky and crisp on the sides of the cake.
An aerial view of the streusal toppings of the cake. Love those nuts.
It is easily sliced too by using a serrated knife, albeit the cake is still warm. I couldn't wait 'til it was completely cool. I was drooling just by looking at this awesome cake.
A slice of the cake revealed the inside apple and streusal layer.
And being a non-coffee person (I actually love coffee but can't consume them, ironic huh?), I did not eat it with coffee. And I don't find it too sweet. It is sweet but not sickly sweet. But I guess it would taste even better with a cuppa coffee. :)
And ohh...I am loving my red baby! ;P
Recipe: Apple Banana Coffee Cake with Chocolate Chip Streusel Recipe (copied directly from Wendyinkk)
100gm all purpose flour
1/3 tsp baking powder
1/3 tsp baking soda
50gm brown sugar
150gm banana, weighed without skin, mashed (I used 250g)1 green apple, peeled, cored and sliced thinly. (I used 2 mini green apples)
50gm brown sugar (can be reduced to 30gm)
50gm walnuts, chopped
½ tsp cinnamon powder
80gm chocolate chips (I used half white half milk choc)
1. Preheat oven at 170/180C. Line a 8 inch round pan or a 7 inch square pan. (I used an 8-inch springform round pan)
2. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda together. Mix in salt, set aside.
3. Prepare streusel mixture by mixing all of the ingredients together.
4. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
5. Add in egg and beat until well combined, it may look curdled.
6. Put in bananas and mix.7. Put in the flour mixture and mix until well combined. It looks rather thick.
8. Put half the batter into pan, and level the batter. (the batter don’t seem to be a lot, but don’t worry, it’s enough to be spread around the pan)
9. Arrange half the apple slices onto batter and top with half of the streusel mixture.
10. Dollop the remaining batter by the tablespoons into pan, try to put the dollops evenly spaced out on the first layer of streusel. Then use a spatula to even out(press and spread) the dollops of batter. (This step is a bit tricky because the streusel from below tends to come up and stick to the upper layer of batter.)11. Arrange the remaining apple slices and top with remaining streusel mixture.
12. Bake for 30 minutes or until tooth pick come out clean.
****The batter may look thick, but the cake is soft and fluffy.
Hey, looks great!
Not sweet for u eh, hehehe. The other day another reader told me she reduced the sugar and yet found it too sweet.
But then again, acceptance level of sweetness is rather individual.
Thanks for the fabulous recipe.
Anyway, it is sweet, but not sickly sweet. haha
sweetness that i can accept.
and mine got a lil burnt at the top!
Post a Comment